- The act of guarding; watch; guard; guardianship;
specifically, a guarding during the day. See the Note under Watch, n.,
- One who, or that which, guards; garrison; defender;
protector; means of guarding; defense; protection.
- The state of being under guard or guardianship; confinement
under guard; the condition of a child under a guardian; custody.
- A guarding or defensive motion or position, as in fencing;
- One who, or that which, is guarded.
- A minor or person under the care of a guardian; as, a ward in
- A division of a county.
- A division, district, or quarter of a town or city.
- A division of a forest.
- A division of a hospital; as, a fever ward.
- A projecting ridge of metal in the interior of a lock, to
prevent the use of any key which has not a corresponding notch for
- A notch or slit in a key corresponding to a ridge in the lock
which it fits; a ward notch.
- To keep in safety; to watch; to guard; formerly, in a
specific sense, to guard during the day time.
- To defend; to protect.
- To defend by walls, fortifications, etc.
- To fend off; to repel; to turn aside, as anything mischievous
that approaches; -- usually followed by off.
- To be vigilant; to keep guard.
- To act on the defensive with a weapon.