- To pledge; to hazard on the event of a contest; to stake;
to bet, to lay; to wager; as, to wage a dollar.
- To expose one's self to, as a risk; to incur, as a danger;
to venture; to hazard.
- To engage in, as a contest, as if by previous gage or
pledge; to carry on, as a war.
- To adventure, or lay out, for hire or reward; to hire out.
- To put upon wages; to hire; to employ; to pay wages to.
- To give security for the performance of.
- That which is staked or ventured; that for which one
incurs risk or danger; prize; gage.
- That for which one labors; meed; reward; stipulated
payment for service performed; hire; pay; compensation; -- at present
generally used in the plural. See Wages.
- To bind one's self; to engage.