- Something hung up, or spread out, to intercept the view, and
hide an object; a cover; a curtain; esp., a screen, usually of gauze,
crape, or similar diaphnous material, to hide or protect the face.
- A cover; disguise; a mask; a pretense.
- The calyptra of mosses.
- A membrane connecting the margin of the pileus of a mushroom
with the stalk; -- called also velum.
- A covering for a person or thing; as, a nun's veil; a paten
veil; an altar veil.
- Same as Velum, 3.
- To throw a veil over; to cover with a veil.
- Fig.: To invest; to cover; to hide; to conceal.