- A slightly built or temporary habitation; especially, a
- A portable structure of wooden framework covered with
curtains, which was carried through the wilderness in the Israelitish
exodus, as a place of sacrifice and worship.
- Hence, the Jewish temple; sometimes, any other place
- Figuratively: The human body, as the temporary abode of
- Any small cell, or like place, in which some holy or
precious things was deposited or kept.
- The ornamental receptacle for the pyx, or for the
consecrated elements, whether a part of a building or movable.
- A niche for the image of a saint, or for any sacred
painting or sculpture.
- Hence, a work of art of sacred subject, having a
partially architectural character, as a solid frame resting on a
bracket, or the like.
- A tryptich for sacred imagery.
- A seat or stall in a choir, with its canopy.
- A boxlike step for a mast with the after side open, so
that the mast can be lowered to pass under bridges, etc.
- To dwell or reside for a time; to be temporary