- Wet, spongy land; soft, low ground saturated with water, but
not usually covered with it; marshy ground away from the seashore.
- To plunge or sink into a swamp.
- To cause (a boat) to become filled with water; to capsize
or sink by whelming with water.
- Fig.: To plunge into difficulties and perils; to
overwhelm; to ruin; to wreck.
- To sink or stick in a swamp; figuratively, to become
involved in insuperable difficulties.
- To become filled with water, as a boat; to founder; to
capsize or sink; figuratively, to be ruined; to be wrecked.