- A swift sailing boat.
- A projecting rock.
- A person sent out to gain and bring in tidings; especially,
one employed in war to gain information of the movements and condition
of an enemy.
- A college student's or undergraduate's servant; -- so called
in Oxford, England; at Cambridge called a gyp; and at Dublin, a skip.
- A fielder in a game for practice.
- The act of scouting or reconnoitering.
- To reject with contempt, as something absurd; to treat
with ridicule; to flout; as, to scout an idea or an apology.
- To observe, watch, or look for, as a scout; to follow for
the purpose of observation, as a scout.
- To pass over or through, as a scout; to reconnoiter; as,
to scout a country.
- To go on the business of scouting, or watching the
motions of an enemy; to act as a scout.