- An extent of canvas or other fabric by means of which the
wind is made serviceable as a power for propelling vessels through the
- Anything resembling a sail, or regarded as a sail.
- A wing; a van.
- The extended surface of the arm of a windmill.
- A sailing vessel; a vessel of any kind; a craft.
- A passage by a sailing vessel; a journey or excursion upon
- To be impelled or driven forward by the action of wind upon
sails, as a ship on water; to be impelled on a body of water by the
action of steam or other power.
- To move through or on the water; to swim, as a fish or a
- To be conveyed in a vessel on water; to pass by water; as,
they sailed from London to Canton.
- To set sail; to begin a voyage.
- To move smoothly through the air; to glide through the air
without apparent exertion, as a bird.
- To pass or move upon, as in a ship, by means of sails;
hence, to move or journey upon (the water) by means of steam or other
- To fly through; to glide or move smoothly through.
- To direct or manage the motion of, as a vessel; as, to
sail one's own ship.