- One who, or that which, runs; a racer.
- A detective.
- A messenger.
- A smuggler.
- One employed to solicit patronage, as for a steamboat,
hotel, shop, etc.
- A slender trailing branch which takes root at the joints or
end and there forms new plants, as in the strawberry and the common
- The rotating stone of a set of millstones.
- A rope rove through a block and used to increase the
mechanical power of a tackle.
- One of the pieces on which a sled or sleigh slides; also
the part or blade of a skate which slides on the ice.
- A horizontal channel in a mold, through which the metal
flows to the cavity formed by the pattern; also, the waste metal left
in such a channel.
- A trough or channel for leading molten metal from a furnace
to a ladle, mold, or pig bed.
- The movable piece to which the ribs of an umbrella are
- A food fish (Elagatis pinnulatus) of Florida and the West
Indies; -- called also skipjack, shoemaker, and yellowtail. The name
alludes to its rapid successive leaps from the water.
- Any cursorial bird.
- A movable slab or rubber used in grinding or polishing a
surface of stone.
- A tool on which lenses are fastened in a group, for
polishing or grinding.