- A straight and slender stick; a wand; hence, any slender bar,
as of wood or metal (applied to various purposes).
- An instrument of punishment or correction; figuratively,
- A kind of sceptor, or badge of office; hence, figuratively,
power; authority; tyranny; oppression.
- A support for a fishing line; a fish pole.
- A member used in tension, as for sustaining a suspended
weight, or in tension and compression, as for transmitting
reciprocating motion, etc.; a connecting bar.
- An instrument for measuring.
- A measure of length containing sixteen and a half feet; --
called also perch, and pole.