- A sudden and single emission of breath from the mouth; hence,
any sudden or short blast of wind; a slight gust; a whiff.
- Anything light and filled with air.
- A puffball.
- a kind of light pastry.
- A utensil of the toilet for dusting the skin or hair with
- An exaggerated or empty expression of praise, especially one
in a public journal.
- To blow in puffs, or with short and sudden whiffs.
- To blow, as an expression of scorn; -- with at.
- To breathe quick and hard, or with puffs, as after violent
- To swell with air; to be dilated or inflated.
- To breathe in a swelling, inflated, or pompous manner; hence,
to assume importance.
- To drive with a puff, or with puffs.
- To repel with words; to blow at contemptuously.
- To cause to swell or dilate; to inflate; to ruffle with
puffs; -- often with up; as, a bladder puffed with air.
- To inflate with pride, flattery, self-esteem, or the like;
-- often with up.
- To praise with exaggeration; to flatter; to call public
attention to by praises; to praise unduly.
- Puffed up; vain.