- The title by which any person or thing is known or
designated; a distinctive specific appellation, whether of an
individual or a class.
- A descriptive or qualifying appellation given to a person or
thing, on account of a character or acts.
- Reputed character; reputation, good or bad; estimation; fame;
especially, illustrious character or fame; honorable estimation;
- Those of a certain name; a race; a family.
- A person, an individual.
- To give a distinctive name or appellation to; to entitle; to
denominate; to style; to call.
- To mention by name; to utter or publish the name of; to refer
to by distinctive title; to mention.
- To designate by name or specifically for any purpose; to
nominate; to specify; to appoint; as, to name a day for the wedding.
- To designate (a member) by name, as the Speaker does by way