- A human being; -- opposed tobeast.
- Especially: An adult male person; a grown-up male person, as
distinguished from a woman or a child.
- The human race; mankind.
- The male portion of the human race.
- One possessing in a high degree the distinctive qualities of
manhood; one having manly excellence of any kind.
- An adult male servant; also, a vassal; a subject.
- A term of familiar address often implying on the part of the
speaker some degree of authority, impatience, or haste; as, Come, man,
we 've no time to lose!
- A married man; a husband; -- correlative to wife.
- One, or any one, indefinitely; -- a modified survival of the
Saxon use of man, or mon, as an indefinite pronoun.
- One of the piece with which certain games, as chess or
draughts, are played.
- To supply with men; to furnish with a sufficient force or
complement of men, as for management, service, defense, or the like; to
guard; as, to man a ship, boat, or fort.
- To furnish with strength for action; to prepare for
efficiency; to fortify.
- To tame, as a hawk.
- To furnish with a servants.
- To wait on as a manservant.