- A short upper garment, extending downward to the hips; a
short coat without skirts.
- An outer covering for anything, esp. a covering of some
nonconducting material such as wood or felt, used to prevent radiation
of heat, as from a steam boiler, cylinder, pipe, etc.
- In ordnance, a strengthening band surrounding and
reenforcing the tube in which the charge is fired.
- A garment resembling a waistcoat lined with cork, to serve
as a life preserver; -- called also cork jacket.
- To put a jacket on; to furnish, as a boiler, with a
- To thrash; to beat.