- A pledge or pawn; something laid down or given as a security
for the performance of some act by the person depositing it, and
forfeited by nonperformance; security.
- A glove, cap, or the like, cast on the ground as a challenge
to combat, and to be taken up by the accepter of the challenge; a
challenge; a defiance.
- A variety of plum; as, the greengage; also, the blue gage,
frost gage, golden gage, etc., having more or less likeness to the
greengage. See Greengage.
- To give or deposit as a pledge or security for some act; to
wage or wager; to pawn or pledge.
- To bind by pledge, or security; to engage.
- A measure or standard. See Gauge, n.
- To measure. See Gauge, v. t.