- To breathe out; to emit from the lungs; to throw out
from the mouth or nostrils in the process of respiration; -- opposed to
- To give forth insensibly or gently, as a fluid or vapor;
to emit in minute particles; to exhale; as, the earth expires a damp
vapor; plants expire odors.
- To emit; to give out.
- To bring to a close; to terminate.
- To emit the breath.
- To emit the last breath; to breathe out the life; to
die; as, to expire calmly; to expire in agony.
- To come to an end; to cease; to terminate; to perish; to
become extinct; as, the flame expired; his lease expires to-day; the
month expired on Saturday.
- To burst forth; to fly out with a blast.