- To give in return for labor expended; to produce, as
payment or interest on what is expended or invested; to pay; as, money
at interest yields six or seven per cent.
- To furnish; to afford; to render; to give forth.
- To give up, as something that is claimed or demanded; to
make over to one who has a claim or right; to resign; to surrender; to
relinquish; as a city, an opinion, etc.
- To admit to be true; to concede; to allow.
- To permit; to grant; as, to yield passage.
- To give a reward to; to bless.
- To give up the contest; to submit; to surrender; to
- To comply with; to assent; as, I yielded to his request.
- To give way; to cease opposition; to be no longer a
hindrance or an obstacle; as, men readily yield to the current of
opinion, or to customs; the door yielded.
- To give place, as inferior in rank or excellence; as,
they will yield to us in nothing.
- Amount yielded; product; -- applied especially to products
resulting from growth or cultivation.