- Something deposited, laid, or hazarded on the event of a
contest or an unsettled question; a bet; a stake; a pledge.
- A contract by which two parties or more agree that a
certain sum of money, or other thing, shall be paid or delivered to one
of them, on the happening or not happening of an uncertain event.
- That on which bets are laid; the subject of a bet.
- To hazard on the issue of a contest, or on some question
that is to be decided, or on some casualty; to lay; to stake; to bet.
- To make a bet; to lay a wager.