- A kind of waved silk, usually called watered silk,
manufactured like taffeta, but thicker and stronger. The watering is
given to it by calendering.
- A mixture of lime with shells, gravel, or stones, in equal
proportions, with an equal proportion of water. When dry, this becomes
as hard as rock.
- A brindled cat; hence, popularly, any cat.
- An old maid or gossip.
- Having a wavy or watered appearance; as, a tabby waistcoat.
- Brindled; diversified in color; as, a tabby cat.
- To water; to cause to look wavy, by the process of
calendering; to calender; as, to tabby silk, mohair, ribbon, etc.