- One placed to superintend others; an overseer; an
- One who views and examines for the purpose of
ascertaining the condition, quantity, or quality of anything; as, a
surveyor of highways, ordnance, etc.
- One who surveys or measures land; one who practices the
art of surveying.
- An officer who ascertains the contents of casks, and the
quantity of liquors subject to duty; a gauger.
- In the United States, an officer whose duties include the
various measures to be taken for ascertaining the quantity, condition,
and value of merchandise brought into a port.