- A broad, shallow basket.
- A wide-mouthed vessel for holding coal: a coal hod.
- A quick pace; a short run.
- A small opening in an outside wall or covering, furnished
with a lid.
- A small opening or hatchway in the deck of a ship, large
enough to admit a man, and with a lid for covering it, also, a like
hole in the side or bottom of a ship.
- An opening in the roof of a house, with a lid.
- The lid or door which covers or closes an opening in a
roof, wall, or the like.
- To run with affected precipitation; to hurry; to
bustle; to scuddle.
- To cut a hole or holes through the bottom, deck, or
sides of (as of a ship), for any purpose.
- To sink by making holes through the bottom of; as, to
scuttle a ship.