- In a state of rest or calm; without stir, motion, or
agitation; still; as, a quiet sea; quiet air.
- Free from noise or disturbance; hushed; still.
- Not excited or anxious; calm; peaceful; placid; settled; as,
a quiet life; a quiet conscience.
- Not giving offense; not exciting disorder or trouble; not
turbulent; gentle; mild; meek; contented.
- Not showy; not such as to attract attention;
undemonstrative; as, a quiet dress; quiet colors; a quiet movement.
- The quality or state of being quiet, or in repose; as an
hour or a time of quiet.
- Freedom from disturbance, noise, or alarm; stillness;
tranquillity; peace; security.
- To stop motion in; to still; to reduce to a state of
rest, or of silence.
- To calm; to appease; to pacify; to lull; to allay; to
tranquillize; as, to quiet the passions; to quiet clamors or disorders;
to quiet pain or grief.
- To become still, silent, or calm; -- often with down; as,
be soon quieted down.