- A metallic or earthen vessel, appropriated to any of a great
variety of uses, as for boiling meat or vegetables, for holding
liquids, for plants, etc.; as, a quart pot; a flower pot; a bean pot.
- An earthen or pewter cup for liquors; a mug.
- The quantity contained in a pot; a potful; as, a pot of ale.
- A metal or earthenware extension of a flue above the top of a
chimney; a chimney pot.
- A crucible; as, a graphite pot; a melting pot.
- A wicker vessel for catching fish, eels, etc.
- A perforated cask for draining sugar.
- A size of paper. See Pott.
- To place or inclose in pots
- To preserve seasoned in pots.
- To set out or cover in pots; as, potted plants or bulbs.
- To drain; as, to pot sugar, by taking it from the cooler,
and placing it in hogsheads, etc., having perforated heads, through
which the molasses drains off.
- To pocket.
- To tipple; to drink.