- A small and mean bed; a bed of straw.
- Same as Palette.
- A wooden implement used by potters, crucible makers, etc.,
for forming, beating, and rounding their works. It is oval, round, and
of other forms.
- A potter's wheel.
- An instrument used to take up gold leaf from the pillow,
and to apply it.
- A tool for gilding the backs of books over the bands.
- A board on which a newly molded brick is conveyed to the
- A click or pawl for driving a ratchet wheel.
- One of the series of disks or pistons in the chain pump.
- One of the pieces or levers connected with the pendulum of
a clock, or the balance of a watch, which receive the immediate impulse
of the scape-wheel, or balance wheel.
- In the organ, a valve between the wind chest and the mouth
of a pipe or row of pipes.
- One of a pair of shelly plates that protect the siphon
tubes of certain bivalves, as the Teredo. See Illust. of Teredo.
- A cup containing three ounces, -- /ormerly used by