- A single movement from one foot to the other in walking; a
- The length of a step in walking or marching, reckoned from
the heel of one foot to the heel of the other; -- used as a unit in
measuring distances; as, he advanced fifty paces.
- Manner of stepping or moving; gait; walk; as, the walk, trot,
canter, gallop, and amble are paces of the horse; a swaggering pace; a
- A slow gait; a footpace.
- Specifically, a kind of fast amble; a rack.
- Any single movement, step, or procedure.
- A broad step or platform; any part of a floor slightly raised
above the rest, as around an altar, or at the upper end of a hall.
- A device in a loom, to maintain tension on the warp in pacing
- To go; to walk; specifically, to move with regular or
- To proceed; to pass on.
- To move quickly by lifting the legs on the same side
together, as a horse; to amble with rapidity; to rack.
- To pass away; to die.
- To walk over with measured tread; to move slowly over or
upon; as, the guard paces his round.
- To measure by steps or paces; as, to pace a piece of
- To develop, guide, or control the pace or paces of; to
teach the pace; to break in.