- One who lets or permits; one who lets anything for hire.
- One who retards or hinders.
- A mark or character used as the representative of a sound,
or of an articulation of the human organs of speech; a first element of
- A written or printed communication; a message expressed in
intelligible characters on something adapted to conveyance, as paper,
parchment, etc.; an epistle.
- A writing; an inscription.
- Verbal expression; literal statement or meaning; exact
signification or requirement.
- A single type; type, collectively; a style of type.
- Learning; erudition; as, a man of letters.
- A letter; an epistle.
- To impress with letters; to mark with letters or words;
as, a book gilt and lettered.