- Coming after the time when due, or after the usual or proper
time; not early; slow; tardy; long delayed; as, a late spring.
- Far advanced toward the end or close; as, a late hour of the
day; a late period of life.
- Existing or holding some position not long ago, but not now;
lately deceased, departed, or gone out of office; as, the late bishop
of London; the late administration.
- Not long past; happening not long ago; recent; as, the late
rains; we have received late intelligence.
- Continuing or doing until an advanced hour of the night; as,
late revels; a late watcher.
- After the usual or proper time, or the time appointed; after
delay; as, he arrived late; -- opposed to early.
- Not long ago; lately.
- Far in the night, day, week, or other particular period; as,
to lie abed late; to sit up late at night.