- The thong or braided cord of a whip, with which the blow is
- A leash in which an animal is caught or held; hence, a snare.
- A stroke with a whip, or anything pliant and tough; as, the
culprit received thirty-nine lashes.
- A stroke of satire or sarcasm; an expression or retort that
cuts or gives pain; a cut.
- A hair growing from the edge of the eyelid; an eyelash.
- In carpet weaving, a group of strings for lifting
simultaneously certain yarns, to form the figure.
- To bind with a rope, cord, thong, or chain, so as to fasten;
as, to lash something to a spar; to lash a pack on a horse's back.
- To strike with a lash ; to whip or scourge with a lash, or
with something like one.
- To strike forcibly and quickly, as with a lash; to beat,
or beat upon, with a motion like that of a lash; as, a whale lashes the
sea with his tail.
- To throw out with a jerk or quickly.
- To scold; to berate; to satirize; to censure with
severity; as, to lash vice.
- To ply the whip; to strike; to utter censure or sarcastic