- A tassel.
- A slip of silk, paper, parchment, etc., affixed to anything,
usually by an inscription, the contents, ownership, destination, etc.;
as, the label of a bottle or a package.
- A slip of ribbon, parchment, etc., attached to a document to
hold the appended seal; also, the seal.
- A writing annexed by way of addition, as a codicil added to
- A barrulet, or, rarely, a bendlet, with pendants, or points,
usually three, especially used as a mark of cadency to distinguish an
eldest or only son while his father is still living.
- A brass rule with sights, formerly used, in connection with
a circumferentor, to take altitudes.
- The name now generally given to the projecting molding by
the sides, and over the tops, of openings in mediaeval architecture. It
always has a /quare form, as in the illustration.
- In mediaeval art, the representation of a band or scroll
containing an inscription.
- To affix a label to; to mark with a name, etc.; as, to
label a bottle or a package.
- To affix in or on a label.