- One of the bones, usually bearing teeth, which form the
framework of the mouth.
- Hence, also, the bone itself with the teeth and covering.
- In the plural, the mouth.
- Fig.: Anything resembling the jaw of an animal in form or
action; esp., pl., the mouth or way of entrance; as, the jaws of a
pass; the jaws of darkness; the jaws of death.
- A notch or opening.
- A notched or forked part, adapted for holding an object in
place; as, the jaw of a railway-car pedestal. See Axle guard.
- One of a pair of opposing parts which are movable towards or
from each other, for grasping or crushing anything between them, as,
the jaws of a vise, or the jaws of a stone-crushing machine.
- The inner end of a boom or gaff, hollowed in a half circle so
as to move freely on a mast.
- Impudent or abusive talk.
- To scold; to clamor.
- To assail or abuse by scolding.