- To touch; to feel with the hand; to use or hold with the
- To manage in using, as a spade or a musket; to wield;
often, to manage skillfully.
- To accustom to the hand; to work upon, or take care of,
with the hands.
- To receive and transfer; to have pass through one's
hands; hence, to buy and sell; as, a merchant handles a variety of
goods, or a large stock.
- To deal with; to make a business of.
- To treat; to use, well or ill.
- To manage; to control; to practice skill upon.
- To use or manage in writing or speaking; to treat, as a
theme, an argument, or an objection.
- To use the hands.
- That part of vessels, instruments, etc., which is held in
the hand when used or moved, as the haft of a sword, the knob of a
door, the bail of a kettle, etc.
- That of which use is made; the instrument for effecting a
purpose; a tool.