- Small roundish masses of ice precipitated from the clouds,
where they are formed by the congelation of vapor. The separate masses
or grains are called hailstones.
- A wish of health; a salutation; a loud call.
- To pour down particles of ice, or frozen vapors.
- To declare, by hailing, the port from which a vessel sails
or where she is registered; hence, to sail; to come; -- used with from;
as, the steamer hails from New York.
- To report as one's home or the place from whence one
comes; to come; -- with from.
- To pour forcibly down, as hail.
- To call loudly to, or after; to accost; to salute; to
- To name; to designate; to call.
- An exclamation of respectful or reverent salutation, or,
occasionally, of familiar greeting.
- Healthy. See Hale (the preferable spelling).