- Brightness or luster of a body proceeding from a smooth
surface; polish; as, the gloss of silk; cloth is calendered to give it
- A specious appearance; superficial quality or show.
- A foreign, archaic, technical, or other uncommon word
- An interpretation, consisting of one or more words,
interlinear or marginal; an explanatory note or comment; a running
- A false or specious explanation.
- To give a superficial luster or gloss to; to make smooth
and shining; as, to gloss cloth.
- To render clear and evident by comments; to illustrate;
to explain; to annotate.
- To give a specious appearance to; to render specious and
plausible; to palliate by specious explanation.
- To make comments; to comment; to explain.
- To make sly remarks, or insinuations.