p. pr. & vb. n.
- of Face
- A covering in front, for ornament or other purpose; an
exterior covering or sheathing; as, the facing of an earthen slope, sea
wall, etc. , to strengthen it or to protect or adorn the exposed
- A lining placed near the edge of a garment for ornament or
- The finishing of any face of a wall with material different
from that of which it is chiefly composed, or the coating or material
- A powdered substance, as charcoal, bituminous coal, ect.,
applied to the face of a mold, or mixed with the sand that forms it, to
give a fine smooth surface to the casting.
- The collar and cuffs of a military coat; -- commonly of a
color different from that of the coat.
- The movement of soldiers by turning on their heels to the
right, left, or about; -- chiefly in the pl.