- Seriousness; reality; fixed determination; eagerness;
- Something given, or a part paid beforehand, as a pledge;
pledge; handsel; a token of what is to come.
- Something of value given by the buyer to the seller, by
way of token or pledge, to bind the bargain and prove the sale.
- Ardent in the pursuit of an object; eager to obtain or do;
zealous with sincerity; with hearty endeavor; heartfelt; fervent;
hearty; -- used in a good sense; as, earnest prayers.
- Intent; fixed closely; as, earnest attention.
- Serious; important.
- To use in earnest.