- Coming from, being on, or directed toward, the side;
as, collateral pressure.
- Acting in an indirect way.
- Related to, but not strictly a part of, the main thing
or matter under consideration; hence, subordinate; not chief or
principal; as, collateral interest; collateral issues.
- Tending toward the same conclusion or result as
something else; additional; as, collateral evidence.
- Descending from the same stock or ancestor, but not in
the same line or branch or one from the other; -- opposed to lineal.
- A collateral relative.
- Collateral security; that which is pledged or deposited
as collateral security.